Saturday, September 15, 2012

Baby Gates - What to Consider When Shopping

Baby Gates - What to Consider When Shopping


So you're a new, proud parent of an active, fun-loving little toddler.You've changed the diapers, you've woken up in the middle of the night for the feedings, and you do your best to read her stories every night.In fact you kind of thought the hard work was over now that she's able to move about on her own.At least you thought that until she started toddling over to the top of that spiral staircase with the hard marble floor at the bottom! And that's when you knew that it was time to look for a baby gate to keep her from taking a tumble (and to keep your sanity from having to worry about it all the time!).That was the situation I found myself in recently when my little girl started moving about like a blur.I decided I needed to look around for baby gates to put all around the house.My first stop of course was to Babys R Us (hey they have everything right!) I purchased something (from a brand that will remain nameless), took it home and tried to install it.Only then did I realize that the gate I purchased had a really weird connection setup, AND it wasn't even wide enough to reach across and protect the staircase.This was the original reason I needed it for!The first thing I can suggest to you when you're shopping for a baby gate is to make absolutely sure that you measure the spaces which you're trying to protect.It's really just common sense, I know.But I guess my common sense is not so common after all, because I had just assumed that any gate that I purchased would automatically extend across whatever opening I decided to place it on.Sorry folks, it's just not so.The leading manufacturers all produce gates of both varying heights and widths.For heights it's usually just one or two sizes (short or tall) so if you're little one is getting big enough consider a taller gate.As to widths, most gates come in either sizes to reach across a hallway, or across a stairway.Hallways tends to be wider, so if that's where you'll use the gate make sure you check the measurements on the box.Personally, I like the gates from DreamBaby.It's a solid manufacturer (Tee-Zed) and they have a great selection.It usually cheaper to pick one up online through one of their distributors, since you'll usually pay a bit more if you go directly to their site or buy it retail.I hope this short article was useful to you in your shopping for a baby gate.Best of luck with your little one (and enjoy the ride!).

Baby Gates - What to Consider When Shopping



0 comments:

Post a Comment